segunda-feira, setembro 06, 2004

I Wish I Could Marry Wendell Berry

Really, I'm not the sort of person who should be a blogger. To start with, my internet connection costs me by the minute. And I make $62 a month.

But it seems my brother has done a sneaky thing and has started a blog that only "real bloggers" can comment on. I'm fairly certain he has done this because he knows that I am not one to with hold commenting on anything. So I have been forced by my own nature to become an oficial blogger.

So what will I share with you today, my gentle readers?

I have chosen an excerpt from a cheerful poem by my main man, Wendell Berry. As my title suggests, I indeed wish I could marry Wendell Berry. There are a few things that have come between us, however, which I tell you: a) he is already married to Tanya, b) he is old enough to be my grandfather, and c) I have never met him. So without further sighing over unrequited love, I give you my favorite excerpts from The Morning's News:

..."The serpent is gentle, compared to man...

... The morning's news drives sleep out of the head at night...

...I look at my son, whose eyes are like a young god's,
they are so open to the world.
I look at my sloping fields now turning
green with the young grass of April. What must I do
to go free? I think I must put on
a deathlier knowledge, and prepare to die
rather than enter into the design of man's hate.

3 Comments:

Blogger slowlane said...

I feel so delightfully evil... I have spurred people on to getting blogs, even people who are too broke to blog.

This makes me very happy.

But maybe I feel guilty for encouraging unnecesary expenditures. Maybe I will put a nickel in an envelope and send it to caedmonstia so that I can help subsidize her blog.

7:41 PM  
Blogger serapio said...

I was looking at that very poem (among others) in considering how to explain my Field and Garden Dream. Another apt one I like is February 2, 1968.

In the dark of the moon, in flying snow, in the dead of winter,
war spreading, families dying, the world in danger,
I walk the rocky hillside, sowing clover.

It's a rather different kind of garden dream, but that's another kind of garden I wish I could have. Also I think it's a rather appropriate description of your garden.

9:30 PM  
Blogger serapio said...

oh. and no, i didn't mean to make it no anonymous comments. although biker and I were conspiring on how to get you to start a blog. because in spite of your internet situation, we think you would make a very good blogger.

9:32 PM  

Postar um comentário

<< Home