quinta-feira, janeiro 25, 2007

My Own Monkey Trap


I remember hearing a story, when I was a kid, about a sort of trap for monkeys. When one wanted to catch a monkey, one could put candy or some other tasty treat inside some sort of jar. The monkey would grab the candy and his hand would remain stuck in the jar because he would not let go of the treat, even for one second. The person who set the trap could then come and get the monkey because the monkey could not get away. His greed would be his downfall.

It occurred to me as I tried to leave the United States last week that I was caught in my own type of monkey trap. Pictured here are my regulation-sized already-stuffed suitcases, and all the other loot that I could not bring myself to let go of. My eyes, I discovered, had been bigger than my suitcases.

It took a little self-discipline and lots of support from my sister for me to break free from my monkey trap so I could board the plane...

2 Comments:

Blogger slowlane said...

Unfortunately, your monkey trap is still in the trunk of my car.

6:55 PM  
Blogger serapio said...

Marbles in a coconut. Or at least that's how I remember the story. But now that I think about it, there must be more to the story, or else the monkey could have carried the coconut away. Maybe they don't allow coconuts on airplanes.

3:08 AM  

Postar um comentário

<< Home